Wednesday, 11 September 2013


3 Day Photography Experience near Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot.

TUTOR COMMENTS: I left Bristol in the rain on the morning of Thursday 5th September to prepare for our course which was to run from Friday to Monday and as I approached the Swansea area, I met bright sunshine which was to prove the perfect start to a great weekend of photography and I believe everyone in the group really enjoyed the social as well as the photographic aspects.

On the first day, we met over coffee ready for a 10.30 start which was an introduction to taking Landscape photographs; then we headed by car to the other side of Swansea and parked near to The Mumbles Pier, this provided opportunity for lunch either packed or in one of the local cafes.  The tide was low and so those who were able, went down on the huge area of flat sand taking photos across the bay with buoys and boats in the foreground and Swansea and Oystermouth Castle in the distance.  After two hours we moved around to Bracelet Bay to get some cliff top shots and the odd cup of tea and piece of cake! Then we returned to the Aberavon Beach Hotel where those who were resident returned to the boardroom for a review of the photos taken.  A short rest and then we met up in the bar for a pleasant social evening and a meal.  This proved to be a major success and really brought the group together (those who were not staying with us did wish they had returned even if just for a meal.).

Next morning after a full Welsh Breakfast it was back to the boardroom to review the photos for those on the course who were not resident, and then the theory turned to taking photos in Low Light conditions.  A quick attempt at using fill-flash in the boardroom and then off in the cars to the Dan-yr-Ogof, National Show Caves of Wales.  No tripods allowed – this proved a real challenge to everyone, myself included, but people stuck to what they had learned and some excellent shots were taken by everyone.  I must point out, that when I had finished and headed for the cafe – everyone was already in there having a great time chatting to each other.  A return to the hotel and a review of the photos was followed at 6 by a team meeting which resulted in a short drive to a wonderful Indian restaurant.  At 8 we returned to be joined by our non-resident students so that we could have an evening of fun with the cameras – on the front in Port Talbot taking pictures of car trails, using second curtain flash, and then photos of the lights on the cranes across the bay and finally painting in light with cameras – we eventually stopped at about 9.45 and by 10.00 it was pouring with rain.  At this stage I should point out that the locals thought it was a speed trap with 7 camera flashes going off every time a car passed!  The other problem was that we needed a seventh curtain flash!  As several cameras picked them all up as the car passed.  What a great time we had!

Sunday morning was a lie in - with breakfast at 9 and then sign out of the hotel and head for the Waterfalls.  A walk along a stream to several spectacular waterfalls in the Neath valley and again everyone got some great shots.  When we arrived at our planned lunch destination which was the turning point of the walk – the heavens opened and we had to abandon lunch and head back down to the cars but to be fair to the weather the minute we got to the pub, the sun shone again!  Soup and tea/coffee was a welcome end to a great time.  Thanks to all who came as students, and to Wayne who came along to help me deliver a very busy course.

As I write this, three days after returning, I am waiting for the hotel to call me back just to confirm our next booking which will be on Sat to Mon, May 3rd to 5th with the same programme so hopefully lots of you will feel that you want to be part of the growing Going Digital family and will get your place reserved.  www.goingdigital.co.uk/southwales. 

Peter                                                      We had a Mammoth time!

 
Student Comments (David and Belinda)

“Good range of locations – access to caves particularly good for low light section.”

“General location – great! I have fallen a little bit in love with South Wales and will definitely go back – with or without GD! There are other areas and attractions of which I am now aware that I would like to visit and photograph.”

“Good Value for money”

Evening Activities: “Good to venture out for team meal, would have been good for everyone to be accommodated in same hotel.”

Overall Course Balance:  “Worked well as mix of creative / composition and technical components. About the right length – more would have been exhausting!”

 Boardroom and Review Sessions:  “Appreciated down to earth style and readiness to explain. Very helpful to see others’ photos of same subject.”

“Briefing sessions were very comprehensive with good handouts and very helpful. I didn’t attend the review sessions (as was staying elsewhere), but did have the opportunity to review images the following morning.”

 Appropriateness of Content and enhancement of your skills:  “Although first course attended, did not feel at major disadvantage – interested and challenged productively throughout.”

Level of challenge of each course: “Useful level of challenge – didn’t want or get easy praise!”

Level of tutor input: “Both, extremely approachable and helpful – learned a lot.”

“Great as always! Very helpful also to have Wayne along for support / help.”

Landscape Course: - “Excellent learning opportunity. Good and challenging throughout.”

“Great opportunity for seascapes and some useful revision as well.”

 
 


















Low Light Course: “Good opportunity to learn technique.  Might have benefited from low natural light situation as well e.g. church”

“Attended the briefing, which was very useful. Due to my mobility issues I didn’t go to the caves, but went to the Botanic Gardens instead! It was nice to have this opportunity and I think it could be a venue for a future botanic / macro course!?” [NB This will be used if the weather is unsuitable for the waterfalls].
 



 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Photos to follow when received from students

Would you book again at a different venue?

“Yes, of course – but I will always have to take access into account. I’d book again at the same venue as well as I think there are other things in the area to do”.

Would you recommend the course to others?   Yes.”     “Of course!”

 Any Other Comments:  “As first timer didn’t know exactly what to expect – outcome exceeded my estimate.”

“Thank you very much to Peter and Wayne for a very enjoyable and useful couple of days. Be warned – I will be back for more!”

Katherine (attended Day 1) “I am pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my day's photography course and learned a lot. Today I have been brushing up on ISO and shutter speeds with every intention of using these tools effectively in the future. There were so many useful hints and techniques that I feel the course has really brought my skills on. I found it particularly interesting to see what everyone else achieved with the same views.  It was a lovely day with a nice group of people. Many thanks for your help. I will certainly be attending another course in the future.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment